Before I fly off to Taiwan in a few hours, here’s the recipe for the red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting I made earlier this week. (Correct! In the midst of exams) I received a lot of positive feedback! The red velvet cupcake in particular. The frosting is well-liked by cheese lovers but not so among people who don’t like cheese.
These are the ingredient I used, you can get them all from NTUC.
I got the recipe from here after comparing a few. But I varied the amount here and there (Sugar in particular). My variations are in blue! And also, the recipe on the website is for cake, so I modified the baking time to cater to cupcakes.
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 Tablespoon of unsweetened, cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar (1.5 cups sugar)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1-2 oz. red food coloring (1 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don’t skip this ingredient)
- Preheat oven to 325F. (165C I think)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
- Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
- Line 24 cupcake cups with liners.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners.
- Bake in the middle rack until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 10-15 minutes. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- Cool the cupcakes on a rack.
- Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely. Pipe it on with a big star tip.
Ingredient for Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar ( 2 cups or less)
- Chopped pecans and fresh raspberries or strawberries, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated.
- Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
- Garnish with chopped pecans and a fresh raspberry or strawberry.
Here’s my final results with ugly frosting. HAHAHAH. First time frosting what. Let me know if you have nicer recipe!